29 Elul 5780 - September 18, 2020

I AM JEWISH: ZACHARAI WOCHNER

I would like to start off by saying that I think it’s always good to find out where you came from, your roots. To learn about Jewish history when it is your identity is crucial. There are Jewish values that have come from our history that are very important to me.

One of the values that is important to me is music. Obviously, music is a big part of my life, so to have my religion have such a rich musical culture has been so beneficial for me. The music that I have sung over the years at temple has helped shape me as a Jewish person. To move from Shir Atid, to helping the children's choir, to playing with cantor and being his musical assistant, to working with the adult ensemble (when I can get myself to) has opened my mind to so many different realms in the Jewish community. Everyone seems to have a different style and outlook on the same ideas in Jewish music.

Another strong Jewish value to me is caring for someone who is lonely. A big part of Judaism is including everyone. When a new person, special guest, or a visitor comes to United Hebrew, the congregation is always extremely welcoming. We never want to see anyone left out; we get excited when people get involved. I know for me; I feel appreciated when people invite me to sing or go to an event with them at the temple. I feel like it's that way for a lot of people at temple.

Lastly, the most important Jewish value to me is working for the equality of all people and for peace (shalom). I understand that the Jewish community sometimes struggles with accepting different people, the more traditional the individual is in the Jewish community. While that may be true, I know generally, from what I’ve experienced, that people who don’t fit society’s "perfect" image are often discriminated against, but we try to accept those people. We go to events to stand up for equality, such as the women's march and the pride parade. I believe part of the reason that we stand up for others is because our past has a lot of times where we’ve been oppressed, just like a lot of other groups today. We want to make a difference for future generations, so they don’t have to go through what we and other groups go through. Because of these reasons and more, I am Jewish.        

 

It is tradition to read Psalm 27 every day during Elul.  

PSALM 27

God is my light and my refuge secure - whom shall I fear?

God is the stronghold of my life - of whom should I be afraid?


When those who act with malice would devour me with words,

it is they who stumble, they who fall.

If an army were to take up arms against me, my heart would not fear.

If war were waged against me, still I would trust.


Just one thing I have asked of God; only this do I seek:

to dwell in God’s house all the days of my life,

to behold divine sweetness and beauty, and to gaze in delight at God’s Temple.


God shelters me in times of hardship, shields me in a tent of divine protection,

raises me high on a rock - so that now my head rises above enemies around me. 

Let me make offerings in that tent - the offerings of a joyful cry.

Let me sing hymns, and celebrate the One who is eternal - Adonai.

Hear my voice when I call; God, answer me with grace.

My heart spoke for you - it said, “Seek My face.” Your face, Adonai, I will seek.

Do not hide your face from me, nor angrily turn away Your faithful one -

the one You have sustained. My God-of-rescue, do not desert me!

When my father and mother have gone, God will gather me in.

Teach me your way, Adonai; and guide me on a straight path,

because of those who lie in wait for me.

Do not hand me over to the will of foes who rose against me -

lying witnesses and those whose very breath is violence.

If only I could believe that I will see God’s goodness

in the land of the living. . .


Wait for Adonai

Be strong of heart, and be bold -- but wait for Adonai.


It is also tradition to hear the sound of the shofar each day during Elul.  It is a wake up call to prepare for the upcoming holy days. 

UHCSTL · Shofar 1     

Comments

Popular Posts